The EU best practice report on promoting access to competitive broadband internet services was developed by EU4Digital Facility experts as a part of the Telecom Rules stream of activities.
The report consists of four key parts to illustrate the European Union’s roadmap to broadband facilitation:
- Review of key EU policy documents – Digital Decade and Digital Compass programme;
- Review of EU legislative documents on broadband facilitation – the European Electronic Communications Code (EECC) and Broadband Cost Reduction Directive (BCRD);
- Analysis of instruments for broadband rollout policy facilitation;
- Analysis of EU best practice examples on broadband facilitation policy from five EU Member States – Germany, France, Lithuania, Romania and Portugal.
The report was prepared to promote access to competitive broadband internet services in the Eastern partner countries – Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine. The main objective of the report is to share experiences gathered by the EU and EU Member States. The Eastern partner countries can apply this experience when:
- Establishing a broadband as-is baseline and monitoring market developments;
Adopting and implementing broadband policies.
- Telecom rules